Kid Pitch Equipment Rules
- Helmets must be worn when batting and running bases, and must have either a Full Face Guard or a C-Flap.
- Bats: any USSSA or USA stamped bat is allowed. This includes 2 1/4", 2 5/8", and 2 3/4" barrel size bats. Note: Fastpitch/Softball bats are NOT allowed.
- Catchers must wear a protective cup when in the catching position.
Kid Pitch Game Rules
1. Continuous batting order must be used in all divisions (all eligible players on the roster present at the game must bat). You may have free substitution of players in the field. Late arrivals must assume the last position in the batting order provided no one has batted twice.
2. Teams may use a courtesy runner for the current pitcher and catcher (not prospective) at any time, but it is mandatory to substitute for the catcher in the case of 2 outs. The courtesy runner must be the player that recorded the last out.....when there are 2 outs and the catcher gets ON BASE, he must be replaced with the player who made the last (2nd) out. This allows the catcher to go in the dugout and get suited up with catchers gear ready to play defense.
3. Each player must play a minimum of 2 innings per game. If the minimum required play time is not met the game will result in a forfeit.
4. Two adult coaches are allowed on the field, with a maximum of 4 coaches in the dugout at any time. At least one adult must be in the dugout at all times.
5. Coaches will be allowed to warm‐up pitchers, at any time, before or during a game and in between innings.
6. All coaches are to remain INSIDE the dugout while their team is not at bat. When at bat, only the first and third base coaches are allowed on the field and only in the coach’s boxes. Sitting on a bucket outside the dugout entrance is not considered in the dugout. Any coach entering the field for any reason, other than when time is requested (and granted) by the umpires may be removed from the game.
7. There is no limit to the number of innings a player can play the position of catcher. (A player who catches for any number of innings can still pitch, subject only to the pitching rules.)
8. The infield fly rule is in effect, and will be decided and called by the Umpire.
9. Pitching divisions will be closed bases – a player cannot lead off a base, and cannot steal to the next base until the ball crosses the home plate when pitched. Stealing to home on a passed ball is prohibited.
10. A maximum five run rule per inning is in effect for all divisions; however, in the case of an over-the-fence Home Run, all runs count.
11. Game balls are provided in the coach’s equipment bag.
12. Managers and Coaches are responsible for the conduct of their players and spectators. Umpires have the option of removing any manager, coach, player, or spectator. Anyone ejected from a game must either leave the park entirely or remain in the parking lot for the remainder of that game and the next game.
13. Line‐up cards may be provided to the home plate umpire, opposing team, and to the scorekeeper upon request.
14. There is NO infield warm‐up before games. Warm‐ups should be in the outfield.
15. All teams must be ready to play at game time or the late team will forfeit the game.
16. Only players listed on the official team roster will be eligible to play.
17. Overthrow Rule: In the case of an overthrow, players can advance only 1 base. (Example. Short stop over throws to First: Batter can advance to 2nd base, 2nd base to 3rd, and 3rd base runner to home.)
18. Official Game time limit will be 1 hour and 30 minutes, OR after the conclusion of 6 innings, whichever comes first. At the end of 1:30...
...if home team is batting and ahead in score, game over; or
...if home team is batting and behind, they can finish the inning then game over; or
...if visitor is batting, game time will be extended to allow visitor to finish and home team to have last bat for that inning, then game over.
19. 10-Run “Mercy” rule: After 4 innings, if one team has a lead of ten (10) runs or more, the manager of the team with the least runs shall concede the victory to the opponent. NOTE: If the visiting team has a lead of ten (10) runs or more, the home team must bat in its half of the inning.
However, the game can continue to the full official time of 1 hour and 30 minutes, or 6 full innings, and the manager of the leading team will put less-skilled players in new positions (infield, pitcher, etc) they wouldn't usually play, to give them learning opportunities.
20. Dead Ball: If a ball goes into the stands; into a dugout; bounces over, under, or through a field fence or a scoreboard; or remains in the meshes of a wire screen - the ball is dead. Each runner including the batter-runner may, without liability to be put out, advance 2 bases. The umpire, in awarding such bases, shall be governed by the position of the runners at the time the ball was determined to be a dead ball.
Note: in our Shadow Creek League, pitchers will not be playing multiple games per week, so the maximum pitch count rules will not apply. Recommended to use at least 2 pitchers per game though. A 3rd pitcher is needed just in case your back up is not at the game.